Parenting two children is a lot of work. So naturally some things have to fall to the wayside, and for us, it ended up being date nights. Especially when we added a second kid (hey V!) to the mix. As an effort to get back into some one-on-one time with each other, Kyle and I thought up a huge list of ‘dates’ we could do at home. Thus Date Night at Home was born. We wrote all of our ideas on popsicle sticks and placed them in a jar. When we’re feeling in need of a date we pick out a stick during the beginning of the week which leaves enough time to prep for a Saturday or Friday night date.
With the holidays we added in some festive selections. We bought a Ginger Bread Village Kit for this date night. A total of 7 dollars was spent on this date. That night we put the kids to bed, blasted some Christmas music, poured some wine (I was pregnant at the time of this date, so I opted for some glorified grape juice) and let the ginger bread house decorating competition begin! And yes, yes it must be a competition because crushing your spouse in a mini house decorating contest is hysterical.
For your own Ginger Bread House Date Night you’ll need:
- Ginger Bread Kit
- Drinks of choice
- Additional candies if you wanna be super cool, we added in shredded coconut, Nerds, and mini chocolate chips…basically all the baking things we had on hand. Minus the Nerds, those were leftover from Halloween.
- Put kids to bed
- Turn on music
- Pour drinks
- Smack talk your partner about who will win said decorating contest
- Assemble and decorate houses
- Laugh a lot, drink some more, and sneak candy
- Go to bed at 9:30 because you’re still raising two babies and you’re tired as fuck